Kale salad with cannellini beans, dried cranberries and Parmesan
My good friend Sarah, a dietitian and blogger on WhyFoodWorks, shared this delicious salad recipe with me and I am paying it forward to you! The best part about this salad (besides the super flavor and nutrition) is that it holds up for a day or two in the fridge without getting gross. Just about every other leafy green will wilt soon after application of acids such as balsamic vinegar or lemon juice.
Kale salad with cannellini beans, parmesan cheese and dried cranberries
- 1 bunch of beautiful kale (avoid wilted or discolored bunches; probably not too fresh)
- 1-16oz can of cannellini beans, drained and rinsed (also known as white kidney beans; while you may not recognize the name, if you've ever eaten minestrone soup, you've eaten them. If you can't find cannellini beans in your local grocery store, try Navy or Great Northern beans)
- 1/2 cup of dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup of grated Parmesan
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- juice and zest of 1-2 lemons, to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste (as Parmesan cheese is quite salty, you shouldn't need much additional salt)
- Give your kale a rinse under cool running water and remove the tough stems. Chop into thin slivers and place in your salad bowl.
- Zest the lemon and add to kale; slice lemon in half and add juice to kale too.
- Use your hands to massage the lemon juice and zest into the kale. If you have a kiddo helper, he or she would love to help you with this step.
- Add beans, cranberries, parmesan cheese, salt, pepper and olive oil. Toss together and serve!
|Gather your ingredients; the parmesan cheese is hiding :)|
|Wash and remove tough stems|
|Chop into small pieces|
|Zest and juice 1-2 lemons (to taste)|
|Add zest and juice to kale leaves|
|Kale is more tender after being massaged and lemon flavor is on each leaf!|
|Salad to go!|
Like what you're reading? Feel free to share this article on facebook and twitter using the buttons below. You can also like me on facebook and follow my twitter feed:
Thank you for visiting my blog!