- vegetables are already chopped for you
- they can be more affordable then fresh
- they are often a blend of colors; what gives vegetables and fruits their colors also gives them some of their nutrition, so a variety of colors is a variety of nutrients
- vegetables to be frozen are picked when they're ripe; many "fresh" fruits and vegetables are picked before they're ripe so that they don't spoil during shipping around the globe. This means not only were fewer vitamins, minerals and phytochemicals developed during the growth of the fruit or vegetable, more are lost as they degrade while traveling to get to your kitchen.
This salad is a complete meal. The fresh parsley makes the whole salad seem fresh, even though most ingredients came from the freezer. Keep a pot of fresh parsley in your window and use it year round! Olive oil and almonds provide healthy fats, the shrimp is lean protein and the corn is your whole grain. Complete with lots of veggies from the green beans and tomatoes, lunch is served!
This quick meal that can come together in five minutes. Really! Pop some green beans in the microwave and by the time they're done, everything else is ready.
On your mark, get set, go!
Shrimp corn and green bean salad
- 1 7.5 ounce box frozen green beans with almonds
- 3 ounces frozen shrimp, peeled and devained
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes
- one handful of fresh parsley
- Olive oil and vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- Remove green beans from plastic packaging and microwave in a glass or ceramic dish for 5 or so minutes (I don't like to microwave in plastic. Ick.)
- Thaw shrimp and corn under running warm water in a colendar
- Chop tomatoes and parsley
- Check microwave. Done yet? You're ready!
- Toss green beans with shrimp, corn, tomatoes, parsley and almonds. Use the same dish you microwaved the green beans in, no need to make more dishes. Drizzle on a bit of olive oil and vinegar to taste and add a bit of salt and pepper. Dig in!
|Microwave green beans until tender in glass or ceramic dish|
|Thaw corn and cooked shrimp|
|Chop parsley and tomatoes|
|Drain green beans, add shrimp and corn|
|Add everything else and dig in!|
Like what you're reading? Feel free to share this article on facebook and twitter using the buttons below. You can also like me on facebook and follow my twitter feed:
Thank you for visiting my blog!