Chocolate Hazelnut Steel Cut Oats
Makes four servings
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- pinch of salt
- 2 cups milk - soy, rice, dairy and coconut are all great
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter and Steel Cut Oats. Stir to coat and toast for a minute or two.
- Add cocoa, brown sugar, salt, milk and water. Cover, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, covered, for 20 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- While oats are cooking, toast hazelnuts. You can do this in a dry skillet over medium heat - toast them until they're fragrant and browned slightly, but watch them closely to prevent burning. You can also pop the hazelnuts into the oven or toaster oven.When toasted, toss the hazelnuts into a colandar with wide holes and let cool.
- When the hazelnuts have cooled enough to handle, stir them around with your fingers and massage off the skins that are loose. They won't all come off - don't worry about it. Chop the nuts.
- When oat cooking time is up, remove from heat and stir in most of the hazelnuts and allow to cool for ten minutes or so. You can add more water or soy milk if you want the oats to be thinner.
- For breakfast ease, scoop individual portions into glass jars and garnish with remaining hazelnuts. Refridgerate until ready to eat; microwave for a minute or three and you're ready to roll! Bring on the day :)