Spring is in the air and the Recipe ReDux theme this month celebrates all things green! Our challenge this month was to use fresh herbs in unusual ways.
As the evidence continues to grow that we should focus on water over regular or diet soda, but even dietitians can get a bit bored with plain water, I thought it would be fun to create my own healthy soda! It is simple to make very tasty to sip on. And this summer when it is like an oven outside, I know this will hit the spot!
Cool Cucumber Mojito Water
- 1 small cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1-2 limes, thinly sliced
- a few sprigs of mint (10-12 leaves)
- Water or seltzer, per your preference
- Slice the cucumber and add to a 2-quart pitcher. Slice the lime and squeeze a bit into the pitcher to release more of the juice. Add the slices too.
- Muddle the lime leaves a bit between your fingers (fancy bar-talk for smash) to release the lime flavor and add those to the pitcher too.
- If you are planning to use seltzer, add only 1 quart of water to the pitcher. If you're going to skip the seltzer, fill your pitcher with plain water. Let sit in the fridge for a few hours or over night to marry the flavors.
- To serve, pour over ice and top with a bit of seltzer if you like the bubbles. Cheers!