Lemon Chicken Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 8 ounces of mushrooms, sliced
- 8 cups chicken stock
- Zest and juice from one lemon
- 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken - this is where you use left overs from your roasted chicken
- 1 can canellini beans, drained and rinsed
- Red pepper flakes for garnish (optional)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large stock pot, warm the olive oil and add your veggies as you chop them. Once they're all in the pot, saute for a few minutes longer or until they start to become tender.
- Add the chicken, chicken stock, lemon juice and zest, beans and crushed red pepper. Bring to a boil and taste your seasonings. Add salt and pepper, if needed. If soup is too thick, add more stock or water.
He has a condition called fill-up-the-pot-itis and I inherited it directly from him: if we have a cooking vessel, we fill it up. My mom recently banned him from using the largest stock pot because he kept making too much soup!