Do you have zucchini coming out of your ears? That is one easy plant to grow! I laugh at tales of small towns where the folks only lock their cars during zucchini season to prevent zucchini "donations" (aka ambushs). Here is a savory recipe that I adapted to increase the whole grain.
Muffin tip 1: don't over mix! Stirring too much develops a lot of gluten and can turn a tender muffin into a hockey puck.
Muffin tip 2: if you want muffins that are exactly the same size, use a disher!
Parmesan + Herb Zucchini Muffins
Makes 12 - easy to double and freeze the extras
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 green onions, diced
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley (or 2 tablespoons fresh, minced)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and spray 12 muffin cups with non-stick spray.
- Combine dry ingredients (flour through parsley) in a bowl; stir until blended.
- In a separate bowl, combine wet ingredients (zucchini through eggs) and whisk until smooth. Add to dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Divide batter evenly between the prepared muffin cups and bake 22-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack or clean tea towel.
Recipe adapted from Muffins A to Z by Marie Simmons.