It can be a challenge to find Real Food on the run. How to eat well on the go? Plan ahead and have a healthy, delicious snack with you! These bites are a great choice - a good combo of complex carbohydrates, protein and heart-healthy fats.
No Bake Energy Bites
- 1 cup dry oatmeal
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (or dried fruit)
- 1/2 cup non-hydrogenated peanut butter
- 1/2 cup ground flaxseed
- 4 dates, pitted and soaked in hot water for 10 minutes
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Shredded coconut to top, optional
- Take the dates out of the water and mash them into a paste using a fork or a mini-food processor. Add some of the soaking liquid if needed.
- Put all ingredients, including date paste, in a mixing bowl and stir to combine.
- Put the mixing bowl in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or more so that the contents become harder and will stick to themselves.
- Using a one-tablespoon measuring spoon, spoon out the batter and roll into a ball.
- Press shredded coconut onto the ball of batter and then sprinkle more on top, if you wish.
- Place in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator.
This is a guest posting by Lydia!
Lydia is a junior studying Nutrition at Miami University, she is an intern at Grass Roots Nutrition and has a love for cooking and eating. Her favorite vegetable is kale she loves to eat it for breakfast!