Winter Kale Salad with a Punch
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 1 12-ounce package chicken sausage, sliced (I like Aidells brand)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 2 small bunches of fresh kale
- Balsamic vinaigrette, to taste
- 3 small apples, cored and chopped
- 3 carrots, shredded
- 4 ounces Cabot sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Toss butternut squash cubes with olive oil, salt and pepper and bake for 20-25 minute or until fork tender.
- Meanwhile, remove stems from kale. Rinse thoroughly, dry and slice into thin ribbons. Place into a large bowl and toss with vinaigrette. Massage dressing into the leaves (I know this sounds silly, but it tenderizes the leaves).
- Toss apples, carrots and cheese into salad bowl. When squash and sausage are fully cooked, add to the bowl, toss to combine and serve!
Note: this salad is excellent leftover, too! Great to have for dinner one night and then enjoy for lunches later in the week.